I’m a shy person by nature, not a natural extrovert and definitely not comfortable in large groups of people. So if you’re like me at all, then this guide is for you.
I’ve had to learn to be more confident in social situations, and it hasn’t exactly been easy.
But some things I’ve learned how to do over the years:
- Introduce myself to new people and quickly find common ground.
- Be semi-comfortable in a party where I don’t know most of the people.
- Be myself, or some version of that, rather than trying to impress people.
- Speak in front of a crowd of strangers (not comfortably, but I do OK).
- Talk comfortably one-on-one or in a small group, and not worry too much about whether people will like me.
- Make fairly authentic friendships with just a handful of deeper conversations.
I won’t be able to teach you how I did all of that in one article, as it took me years to develop these skills, but today I’d like to share some things that might help you become more confident, and then to practice more. (more…)